Many of us are eager to entertain again after the year we’ve just weathered. And with summer just around the corner, it’s a magical time to use your outdoor space for gathering friends and family. Let’s get to it!
Here are some of our favorite ideas for taking your outdoor entertaining up a notch:
- Invest in a cool cooler: From copper hourglass-shaped designs, to galvanized metal tubs, to wooden ice chests, beverage storage containers are as varied as the drinks you’ll stock in them. Be sure to pick a cooler that won’t harm the flooring of your outdoor space and will withstand exposure to the elements if left outdoors.
- Serve dinner with flare: Leave your everyday dishes in the kitchen and buy some inexpensive melamine dishes to brighten up your outdoor space. These light and durable plates come in so many festive patterns–and they won’t break if dropped on your flagstone patio.
- Go stemless: Outside, guests are more likely to move up and down deck stairs and mingle on your unstable lawn, so glass wine goblets and champagne flutes aren’t practical choices. Opt for stemless, non-breakable glasses in acrylic glass or silicone for your wine or mixed drinks–you can find them now in all kinds of fun colors and shapes.
- Add some creative seating: Sure, the couch on your porch is comfy, but how about adding another element of fun by hanging a rope chair from the ceiling for a guest to enjoy? Entertaining outdoors is all about being relaxed, so don’t stress about everything matching — repurpose your indoor furniture by bringing out an ottoman or even a cot to position against a wall with a cozy blanket and outdoor pillows.
- Light up the night: Nothing will transform your patio, porch, or backyard into an inviting space more than great lighting. We’re not talking about the bright lights found inside your home. Keep it casual outside by using string lights overhead or lanterns placed on the floor. Battery operated candles are great to use for those breezy nights when open flames will struggle to flicker.
- Get creative with umbrellas: Umbrellas are a must for offering up some shade, but they can also help define your outdoor space. If you’ve got a yard full of sunshine and are also entertaining a large crowd, set up a few standing umbrellas with mini seating areas around your patio, deck, or backyard. Your guests will congregate more freely when you offer them some shady retreats.
- Serve up drinks on the go: Who says bar carts only belong in the dining room? An outdoor bar cart is a simple way to help you transfer drink essentials from the kitchen to your outdoor space. Stock it up with beverages, glasses, ice, a cocktail shaker, and swizzle sticks.
- Decorate from your garden: Don’t hit the florist for your outdoor centerpieces…the prettiest stems might be right in your backyard! Fill some pottery or colorful buckets with freshly clipped hydrangeas, peonies, or delphiniums. Another creative option? Gather up some blooms with the stems clipped off and place them in bowls full of water — instant elegance!
Looking to add something new and special to your outdoor living area this year? Let our team help you create the perfect Outdoor Space!